Ages: 6-12 years
Sundays from 12:30-2:30pm or 1:00-3:00pm
Starting Sunday January 8th, 2023
Registration available on Zone 4 website
The Jackrabbit Ski League is a Canada-wide program that teaches ski skills in a fun environment to children aged 6 to 12. The Jackrabbit Program provides the basis of instruction for the more advanced programs. Skiers aged 6 to 12, enjoy group lessons, games and activities-on-snow, a Fun Race, snacks, and a year-end BBQ.
The Jackrabbit Program is designed for the “FUNdamentals” stage of development (children 6-9 years of age) This is the second level of the skill development program. It has been developed in parallel with the second level of the competency-based NCCP, which provides coaching materials specific to the needs of skiers this age. Program materials include an enrolment kit, an age appropriate booklet that provides a comprehensive record of the young skier’s ski career and “technique” and “program” award stickers to chart the different levels of achievement. The objective is for children to learn basic cross-country ski skills (both classic and skating) and to instill a lifelong interest in the sport, thereby enhancing their quality of life and health.
Goals of the Program
- Encourage FUN and participation,
- Develop ABC’s. Agility, Balance, Coordination and speed.
- Frequent cross-country skiing during the season.
- Good technique habits developed through repeated practice using the Jackrabbit program awards
- Utilize games and ski playgrounds to develop technique, speed skills and fitness.
- Well structured programs.
- Develop linear, lateral and multi directional speed.
- Develop a team/social atmosphere.
- Introduce competition in a team environment whenever possible.
- Encourage inter-club social, skill and fitness orientated ski activities e.g. camps.